Sunday, September 14, 2008

Baptisms for the Dead

This week, the youth of my ward had the opportunity to do Baptisms for the Dead at the San Diego temple. This experience helped my testimony to grow and allowed me to better understand the importance of this work. Anthoer thing that showed me the greatness and peace that comes through the temple was the way it can change your mood and demeanor instantly. Being that my football practice doesn't get out until 5:30, and we were meeting at the church at 6:00, I knew there was going to be some sort of difficulty getting there on time. My practice got out late, automatically making it a rush for time. Then someone who I was supposed to be giving a ride to wasn't ready when I needed him to be. I found myself in a very agrivated mood, not necessarily the best way to start off a trip to the temple. Thankfully, they hadn't left yet and we all got to go. On the way down I was still somewhat angry and bitter, but as soon as I saw the temple, my mood shifted to reverence and peace. This proved to me that what I was doing was right, and beneficial to me. When it was time to start the baptisms, I took the initiative to use my time wisely while in the waiting room. I started it off with a prayer, asking the Lord to help me understand the importance of baptisms for the dead. I spent the idle time reading the scriptures and various church magazines. Then came time for me to do the confirmations and baptisms. I could really feel the spirit throughout the whole thing; it was remarkable. The answer to my prayer came as I was next in line to be baptized. I thought to myself, "What do I want most in life?" The thought automatically popped into my head, "Eternal life, to be sealed with my wife for all eternity, and be have an eternal family." Then a small voice came into my head, "Don't you think all these people in heaven want the exact same thing?" If they weren't baptized, they couldn't be sealed, or have their endowments, or anything like that. It was then that I realized the importance of the work that we do. Not only are they able to enter into the kingdom of heaven, they are then able to live with their families for all eternity, just as we strive to do one day. What an amazing experience.

No comments: