Monday, September 8, 2008

Give Meaningful Service

This week I have had many opportunities to give service, and my week was blessed because of it. Monday, Steven Thurston was working on his Eagle Scout Project and I volunteered. We spent our morning with the youth of our ward working to renew the horseshoe pits at Felicita Park. The project was physically demanding, but spiritually rewarding. By giving ourselves in the service of our fellow men, we propitiate our relationship with God. When this activity was finished, I started my way home expecting and longing for a long hot shower. This however, was not what was intended for me. Turning on Citracado, there was a woman there who had a flat tire. Part of me wanting to just skip by and let someone else help her, but another part of me knew that stopping and helping the lady would be the Christ-like thing to do. Upon stopping and asking if she needed help, it became obvious that she was a tourist and knew no English. This truly was a fun and remarkable experience. Although all I did was help her change a flat tire, I knew that I was serving my fellow men, and in turn, my Lord. This week I had lost myself in the service, and felt the joy it brought into my life. The spirit of service broke through the language barrier so that both our lives could be blessed. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve and to help those around me. Keep a look out for any opportunity to serve, you never know what the Lord will put before your very eyes.

2 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

It's a great thing to live by. They say when you are having a hard time to immerse yourself in service to others. I think that is why I have always enjoyed working with the elderly and the disabled.It always gave me more than I recieved!
Dad and Hannah are super excited to go to your game and see Eric's paly this weekend!
Wish I were coming too!
The thought of Ethan and Grace in the car for that long only to have to turn aroun and do it the next day is not a fun one! plus, once again...I've been sick! I am sick of being sick!
Make sure you remind Dad to take lots of pictures. he is not good at that and I want some of you guys for my blog!
Love ya!

Vidal's Nest said...

oops..that was play